There’s certain pieces that every girl should have in her closet. Some you should have multiples of in different colors and cuts and some only one. It all depends on what your lifestyle is. If you have at least one of each of them in your closet, you’ll be ready for any occasion that might arise. Even on short notice! Once you have the basics you can add pops of color to them with completer pieces, shoes and accessories.
First on the list…..
1. Chambray Shirt (Light Weight Denim) – I prefer a button up chambray, but a more blousy one is fine too. Chambray is very versatile because it can be dressed up or dressed down.
2. White Button Up – This is a very classic piece. It can go with anything and can also be dressed up or be dressed down.
3. White T-Shirt – This doesn’t have to be anything fancy, just a basic white tee is fine. Once you have a basic white one, add colored tees to your closet for more fun. You could even consider adding a graphic tee to your wardrobe. I like to pair a graphic tee with a blazer for fun semi-casual look. Just be sure to keep your graphic tee age appropriate.
4. Neutral Cardigan – Cardigans are completer pieces. Completer pieces allow you to create more outfits and expand your wardrobe. Once you have a basic neutral cardigan, add colored ones for more outfit options.
5. Structured Blazer – Blazers are also a completer piece. Start with a neutral colored one such as black. They are great because the structure of them gives an outfit a polished look. They can also be dressed up or down. Once you have a neutral one, add a colored one for a fun pop of color to an outfit.
Next on the list….
6. Little Black Dress – The Little Black Dress is a staple in EVERY closet. Though it might not be a piece that you wear on a regular basis, it is necessary to have. You never know when an event that requires a Little Black Dress might pop up. If you already have one in your closet, you have nothing to worry about.
7. Pencil Skirt – Pencil skirts are classic. Since they are a separate, many outfits can be created with them, both dressy and casual.
8. Good Fitting, Dark Wash Jean – Dark wash jeans are great because they can be dressed up with a pair of heels or dressed down with a pair of flats. The same with tops you pair with them. If your lifestyle requires you to wear more jeans than slacks, consider adding jeans in different washes and cuts. Also consider having a longer pair to wear with heels and a regular length pair to wear with flats.
9. Classic Trouser – If your lifestyle requires you to wear these on a regular basis, you might want to get them in several colors. Otherwise, just a single pair in a neutral color is fine.
Shoes & Accessories
10. Black Pumps – Start with black and keep them basic, that way they will literally go with EVERYTHING! Once you have a black pair, you can add colored ones for pops of color.
11. Black Ballet Flats – Yes, make sure they are ballet flats and not a chunky flat. Ballet flats will minimize the size of your feet. Chunky flats will make your feet look heavy.
12. Statement Necklace – A statement necklace is a great way to add that little extra to your outfit. Keep your first one neutral so it will go with everything, then think about adding some with color.
13. Light Weight Scarf – A light weight scarf can be worn throughout the seasons. Again, keep your first one neutral so it will go with everything, then think about adding colored ones.
14. Belt – I prefer a skinny belt to start with. That way you can either wear it looped through your jeans/trousers or over a cardigan.
Stay tuned for an upcoming post on ideas how to create 20 outfits with just these 14 pieces….